[virtualize] Re: ESX 2.5 Upgrade

Hello George.

I'm happy to say I have upgraded 10 or so of them from 2.1 to 2.5 with
no major issues.

Just watch out for the Network Connections as you will / may have to
reset up the Virtual Switches.  Even after doing so may of them I forget
if it was 2.1 or 2.0 that I had to do this on.  You will want to use the
same name so you do not have to rework your .CFG/.VMX files.  Sorry -
that's probably class book 101. ;-)

Also, you will have to upgrade up VMtools on the VM's.  So make sure you
know the IP's of the machines in case they switch back to DHCP when
upgrading the vmxnet drivers.

If you use a SAN, disconnect the ESX Server from the SAN prior to the
upgrade.

You may have to recreate the VMKernel Swap file and activate it after
the upgrade.  I had to 50% of the time if I remember correctly.

Personally, I've been really impressed with VMware ESX Server 1.x and
2.x upgrades.

Warm Regards,
David

esxRanger, HOT backup for VMware ESX Servers
http://www.vizioncore.com

David M. Bieneman
President
vizioncore, inc
847-603-7619 p
847-603-7620 f
dbieneman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
www.vizioncore.com
"vc-iSeries - Point and Click Administration
 for VMware, Citrix & Terminal Server"