To: <vip_students@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Tuesday, September 25, 2007 9:17 AM
Subject: [vip_students] Re: popup blockers

Hi Jackie
I have my web browser set to block pop-ups as they can be a nuisance with jaws.
I found the following definition of pop-ups on the net which I thought
might be helpful:
Pop-up ads or popups are a form of online advertising on the
World Wide Web
intended to increase
web traffic
or capture email addresses. It works when certain web sites open a new
web browser
window to display
. The pop-up window containing an advertisement is usually generated by
JavaScript
, but can be generated by other means as well.

A variation on the pop-up window is the pop-under advertisement, which
opens a new browser window hidden under the active window. Pop-unders
do not interrupt
the user immediately and are not seen until the covering window is
closed, making it more difficult to determine which web site opened
them. Pop-unders
can be extremely annoying for people who are used to leaving several
tabs prepared for another session, as unnoticed pop-unders will be
considered by the
browser as the last open window. This will cause the browser to open
the ad at the next start, instead of the prepared tabs.

Joan Ann.

On 25/09/2007, Jackie McBrearty <jackiemcb@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hey all
just toddling around my computer menus and noticed popup blockers, it says turn on popup blockers, just wondering what is a popup blocker and is this
the right setting it should be at.

thanks
yours Jackie