[vip_students] Re: how to use web browser

  • From: "Jackie McBrearty" <jackiemcb@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <vip_students@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 5 Sep 2007 07:22:15 +0100

Hey Jenny

I don't know if this will help, but found this on the net the address is below and found this on what is a web browser as for downloading I'm not sure.

When you sit down and look at web pages, you are using a web browser. This is the piece of software that communicates with
web servers
for you via the
HTTP
protocol, translates
HTML
pages and image data into a nicely formatted on-screen display, and presents this information to your eyeballs -- or to your other senses, in the case of browsers for the vision-impaired and other alternative interface technologies. Web browsers also appear in simpler devices such as Internet-connected cell phones, like many Nokia models, and PDAs (Personal Digital Assistants) such as the Palm Pilot.

The most common web browser, by a large margin, is
Microsoft Internet Explorer,
followed by the open-source
Firefox browser
and its relatives, including Netscape 6.0 and later. Apple's
Safari
browser is now the standard on Macintoshes (although Firefox is also a fine choice on the Mac), and the
Opera
shareware browser has a loyal following among those who are willing to pay for the fastest browser possible, especially on older computers. The
Lynx browser
is the most frequently used text-only browser and has been adapted to serve the needs of the vision-impaired.

I got this off www.boutell.com/newfaq/definitions/browser.html

this may shed some light.
yours Jackie
----- Original Message ----- From: "janeobrien" <jeobrien5@xxxxxxxxxx>