[vip_students] VI Students studying science courses

  • From: "Derek Naysmith" <derek.naysmith@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <visuaid@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <atlist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <blindaccessibility@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 12 Jul 2009 10:24:22 +0100

Dear All,

I apologise if you have already received this message on another list.

I have been asked by the Open University to help them consider how they

can improve the way they present Science courses to make them more

accessible to visually impaired students. Please note that at this stage ICT
courses are excluded from the study.

To get started I would like to establish contact with anybody who has
recently studied, or is currently studying,  a Science course at any
University, not just a UK university.

One of our concerns is that very few visually impaired students consider
studying science courses at university.  Hence this initial appeal as part
of a scoping exercise to try to determine how many visually impaired people
have studied science at university.

As part of the study I would like to discuss what areas visually impaired
students had difficulty with, how academic and support staff tried to help
etc.  I want to hear about good and bad experiences so that it

may be possible to draw up guide lines for best practice which could be
circulated across the HE sector.

Please reply to me off list to keep traffic down:

 Derek.naysmith@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Any comments made will be kept in confidence.

Even if you haven't studied science but you can suggest possible sources of
information this would be gratefully received.

Thanks for any assistance in this matter.

Cheers,

Derek Naysmith

Brian Perkins does crazy things with the shipping forecast: On YouTube at:
 <http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dWl0QD9W-Oc>
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dWl0QD9W-Oc
And Charlotte Green poses as the Voicemail messenger from hell at:
 <http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=GR7VIhcdYNI>
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=GR7VIhcdYNI