[vip_students] Tutorial on setting up a GMail account for use on ISPs abroad.

  • From: "Aedan O'Meara" <aomeara@xxxxxx>
  • To: <vip_students@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 7 May 2011 00:14:30 +0100

Hi all,
I recently had great difficulty in sending out emails from Majorca to
Ireland as the local ISP blocked non-client originated emails. A neighbour
kindly was letting me connect my laptop to his Broadband via wireless lan.
I could receive email with no problem, so I was able to keep an eye on this
list, but no matter what I tried the local ISP, Telefonica, would not allow
my outgoing emails through as I was not the account holder. The ISP's here
are not as strict. The Spanish restrictions are to help prevent easy access
by spammers to outgoing ports on the internet.
With Paul's help I was able to get outgoing emails working at last via Gmail
and here is what we did step by step:

Details for setting up GMail with telefonica.net or other difficult ISP:
Firstly, Setup EMail account with Gmail.com
Next on PC go to:

Control panel
Mail
email settings.....
choose "New".
microsoft, pop etc  check
next
Your name:
email address:xx@xxxxxxxxx
password (min 8 chars)
Retype password
manually configure servor or additional servor types:  check
next
internet email check
next
Your name:
EMail address: xx@xxxxxxxxx
account type: pop3
Incoming EMail servor: pop.gmail.com
Outgoing email servor: smtp.gmail.com
remember password check
Require log on using secure password authentication (SPA): unchecked
Test account settings
More settings... check
General
ctrl tab
Outgoing servor tab
Outgoing servor requires authentication  check
In list choose" Log on using:" 2 of 4
username: xx@xxxxxxxxx
password:
        Remember password  check
Require secure password authentication (SPA): unchecked
        ctrl tab
Connection tab
connect using my local area network (lan): check 1 of 3
connect via modem when Outlook is off line: unchecked
ctrl tab
 Advanced tab
Incoming servor (pop3): 995
Use defaults: unchecked
This servor requires encrypted connection: ssl  check
Outgoing servor (smtp): 465
Use the following type of encrypted connection:  ssl (2 of 4)
Servor timeouts
Leave copy of messages on servor (optional)
ok check
Job done
Alternative pop port number: 993
Alternative smtp port number: 587