[vip_students] Tutorial: Using Express Burn CD/DVD software!

  • From: "Paul J. Traynor (NCBI)" <paul.traynor@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <vip_students@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 23 Jun 2009 15:00:09 +0100

Hi All,

I have always been a Nero user. When it came to burning  data onto CD's or
creating Audio CD's I found it always gave me results. However while looking
around for some kind of freeware alternative to Nero I came across a piece of
freeware software called Express Burn. I downloaded it and tried it out. It
worked great with jaws which is usually our first concern and likewise when I
moved through its controls I found I had no difficulty knowing where to go or
what to do in order to get my work done. However being a bit of a skeptic I
wondered if the quality of the burns from it would compare well with Nero. I
tried it out and was very pleased to find out that yes, it did hold up well and
I had no problems with the recordings I produced from it. I thought then I
would write up a tutorial for it and post the link to download the file for you
all to try it out.

[Express Burn]

First download the file from the link below;
http://www.nch.com.au/components/burnsetup.exe

Once the file has been downloaded we will begin the process of installing it
onto our computers as follows;

1. Press enter key on the downloaded file and wait a moment.
Note: Just as the file is about to download you may be asked if you wish to run
or save the file, just tab to run and press spacebar. When the file has
finished downloading to your PC you will again be asked if you wish to
run/install the file, tab to "run" and press spacebar once more.

2. First question you will be asked is, to accept the license agreement.
Note: This is  a couple of radio buttons which you use the up and down arrow to
choose the "I agree with these terms."

3. Now tab to the "next" button and press spacebar or click with the mouse.

4. That should be it, the installation will begin and the software will be
installed.

5. Lastly a close button will pop up and you just press the spacebar on it to
complete the installation. It's that easy.

(Working with Express Burn)

Express burn can burn many types of different disks but in the free version
only a few types of burn are possible. Here we will look at burning an audio CD
from MP3 audio files stored on our PC's.

1. After the installation go to the desktop and look for the icon called
Express Burn.

2. Press enter to open up the program.
Note: In here you will have a very simple easy to use interface with the
following  items contained in the resulting dialogue box;
*. A blank list. This is where your list of songs will reside when you have
chosen them and added them to your choice.
*. Add button, This button is where you kick off the process of adding
particular songs to the CD for burning later.
*. Add Folder, a button for adding folders containing data or even empty
folders for that matter.
*. Play Button, Will allow you to select one of the songs in the list of chosen
MP3's and play it.
*. Stop button, I think this is self explanatory as its for stopping the song
from playing.
*. Create CD, Begins the work of burning the CD once you have chosen all your
songs which you wish to burn onto the blank media.
*. Normalize Volume, Helps you  get all your audio tracks singing from the same
hymn sheet so to speech.

You can access any of the above options by just tabbing through them or
clicking on them if you are a mouse user.

There are menus which are accessible also and which contain many more
features, some of these features are available and some are not, depending on
your having the free version or the paid version of the software.

Note: So far I was able to burn audio CD's and also ISO images. ISO images are
just large files of a particular type that someone in my line of work would be
using but that’s something you shouldn't worry about right now.

3. Lets now tab over to the Add button and hit the spacebar on it. This will
open up a new window which  will attempt to point us to where our music files
are contained. It is the same as the open screens you get when in your word
processor or something like that.

4. Press the keys Shift + Tab to reverse jump back into the list of files and
folders contained in you’re my Documents folder or in some location like that.
Note: You will have to search around in here to locate your tracks. Usually I
would find mine in my documents\my music sub folder, yours could be different.

5. Once you have located the folder with the songs and gone in here, you can
begin arrowing through the music tracks and selecting them.
Note: When selecting multiple files from within the one folder, press and hold
down the left control key and while keeping this key down, then press  the
spacebar on any of the songs you wish to select till you have all your tracks
chosen.

6. Once all tracks are chosen for your job, tab over to the "Open button" and
hit the spacebar or enter key again. This begins the process of adding the MP3
files into the blank list window we talked about in our previous screen. Give
it a few moments to complete its work.
Note: Be aware of the limits of your blank CD's. I usually just put about 16
tracks onto a CD which generally is fine.

7. Once all tracks have been added, just tab over to the "create CD" button and
hit the spacebar to begin the job. At this point you will be asked at what
speed you wish to burn your audio CD at. I just tab over to the little combo
list box and choose using my up or down arrows a speed of "16"
Note: Make sure you have a blank CD in the drive!.

At this point the Work will begin on the CD and once finished the CD drive door
will open up and an ok button will appear on the screen. Just hit enter on it
to complete then alt + F4 to close Express burn.

Now you're done.