[vip_students] Mini Tutorial:Emptying the Avast Anti Virus Chest (For Avast users only)

  • From: "Paul Traynor" <paul.traynor@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <vip_students@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 15 Jul 2007 13:07:43 +0100

Recently on here Susan asked if I could post steps to checking the Avast
Virus Chest, which is the same as the AVG Virus Vault. Here is how to
proceed  to check and then remove  those nasties from your Avast Virus
Chest.

Note: It was only in versions of jaws 6.x and later that we were able to
access the Avast menu and its various options such as getting into the virus
chest. If you have earlier versions of jaws then the below instructions may
not work.

Window eyes users, I have version 6.0 of window eyes and this worked great
for me using the below instructions.

(Checking the virus chest)

Step 1.
Go to the desktop and press the letter "A" till you hear jaws say "Avast".
Then press the enter key.

Step 2.
What happens when you have pressed the enter key is that Avast opens up and
does a short memory scan of your computer as a precaution. If you tab key
you will encounter a "stop scan button" so hit the spacebar on this.

Step 3. Once the memory scan has stopped you can tab once more and jaws
should say something like its notifying you that it is placed on a checkbox,
when you hear this stop tabbing and also ignore this particular checkbox as
it is just something other than what we are interested in here however we
use it as a kind of marker so we know we are in the correct position to
begin our maintenance work.

Step 4.
Now press the "windows key" third out from right side of spacebar. You
should hear a kind of click like a switch and also a menu opens up with all
the options we need in it.

Step 5.
Arrow down through this menu till you come to the virus chest and press the
enter key.

Step 6.
The virus chest will open up and if there are viruses in here then it will
read them for you by using your arrow keys.

Step 7.
If you have determined that there are viruses in the chest, you will want to
remove them completely. Just use keys "control + letter A" to select all
then hit the "delete key" on your keyboard and you will be asked if you are
sure you wish to remove them, just tab key to "yes or ok" and hit the enter
key. Now a close button will come up so just hit the enter key on it also.

Step 8.
The virus chest is now empty, so just use keys "alt + F4" to close the virus
chest and again, "alt + F4" to close Avast and you're done.

Good luck and report back to the list anyone using this anti virus program.