[vip_students] Re: K1000

  • From: "\(NCBI\) Paul Traynor" <paul.traynor@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <vip_students@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 8 Oct 2011 17:48:34 +0100

Hi Eleanor,

If you are using Avast latest version on this machine then I suggest you
remove it completely and then try installing the K1000 program. I have seen
instances where Avast has been the culprit in some of these situations.
Also after uninstalling Avast, install this little program I have given you
the link too below and run it. I t may come up the first time asking if you
wish to run it in demo mode, just click on no and it should run. Its purpose
is to clean out any temp folders and other areas of the computer that holds
trash files.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1040060/CleanUp452.exe

In relation to uninstalling avast, you'll have to do it in safe mode as it
won't allow you to uninstall in the normal  way.
Here are the instructions.

1. After you turn on your computer wait about 3 or 4 seconds and then start
pressing the "F8 key". Press it with about a second of a pause between
presses.
2. Eventually a menu will come up, Press the down arrow till you come to
"save mode only" and press the enter key.
3. If you are asked which operating system you want on the next screen, just
press enter key again.
4. After a while it will go into windows in a safe mode operation and will
ask you to confirm this by clicking on "yes".
5. Now while in here, go into "control panel/Add or remove programs" and  go
to Avast.
6. Begin the uninstallation in the normal way and it will be good to go.