[vip_students] A word about backups!

  • From: "Paul J. Traynor (NCBI)" <paul.traynor@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <vip_students@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 9 Apr 2010 12:22:57 +0100

Recently I was chatting with a friend of mine who works in the computer
business. He mentioned to me about a customer he had come in to his store
with a computer badly neglected and in  a state where it would be hard to do
anything with it. It was infected with viruses, spyware and malware and
needed major servicing. Unfortunately he discovered that the hard drive was
damaged and no useful data could be retrieved from it. He mentioned to me
that the customer was very annoyed and upset about this as he said he had
photos, documents and some work he had been preparing  for someone on that
disk. My friend felt bad for the guy but what I thought was a bit much was
that this customer almost felt it was the  technician fault his PC had let
him down and kept on ranting about all he lost. It got me wondering about
how many of you reading this have a backup plan in operation?. What about
those documents, photos, music and other items you have on your hard drive?,
are they the only copies you have of your materials or are you playing it
smart and have taken steps to backup your stuff onto an external hard drive,
USB memory stick, CD, DVD etc?. It's no good complaining about all you have
lost when the PC goes down. It's no use blaming someone who is trying to
help and you then turn your  frustration on them if something can't be
retrieved. Take a bit of time now to think about your materials. Are they
the sort of items that can't be replaced?, if so put a backup plan into
action and keep those files safe. Backup at least once a week and then you
can be assured that everything is safe whenever  that crash comes, because
it's not "if" it comes but "when" it comes!.

Let us know here on the list some of your ideas so we can share them with
others.

Cheers,

Paul.

  _____

.

National Council for the Blind of Ireland (NCBI) is a company
limited by guarantee (registered in Ireland No. 26293) .
Our registered office is at Whitworth Road, Drumcondra, Dublin 9.
NCBI is also a registered Charity (chy4626).