[vip_committees] Kiwanis and Louigi's

  • From: Blaine Clark <blaineclrk@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Hank Bloomberg Chapter List <vip_committees@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 29 Aug 2011 15:38:01 -0400

Had the meeting with the DuBois Kiwanis. They're a small group like us, about 14 members with about 7 regulars. Their main programs that they are working on now are 'Touch A Truck' coming up soon in the DuBois Mall near Sears for children. They get volunteers to bring in vintage trucks and some area organizations to bring in their operational trucks such as garbage trucks which I'm going to guess are well cleaned, delivery trucks, fire trucks and others. They also operate a program in which they hand out smoke/fire detectors and trigger locks for firearms to families at the Hospital when they are celebrating a new-born. I told them about us and the Dining in the Dark, the Picnic in the Dark and the Vinux project. The meeting ran out of time before I could tell them about the bowling guides we have, sorry Bill. I'll make sure I work that in next week.

One member has one old computer that she would like to donate and another member has several from an old business that he would like to donate. There was no commitment stated about helping with organizing any of our activities, but they sure asked a lot of questions so I'm assuming there's going to be a lot of discussion about us. I also took a laptop along and loaded Vinux in Live mode to give a demo. All the men are retired and one especially was interested because Macular Degeneration runs in his family. Two of the women members work at separate banks in DuBois.

Their membership dues are $100 per year and I'm guessing from the application wording that it's from the application date, not year beginning to year end. I'm going to join and I'll check about how much we'll be able to cooperate with them. I'll try to remember to find out about the other area chapters. They will allow payments so the $100 doesn't have to be given at once.

Louigi's manager got back with me right after the Kiwanis meeting and she's more up to date on the schedule for the DuBois restaurant than Eddy is. He's too busy with other parts Fridays and Saturdays are definitely out. For the week before Halloween, Monday or Sunday works best for them. I ruled Sunday out. Monday the 24th is the tentative date, from 5 pm to 8. She will check and see how much they'll be able to help us with advertising.

Got to get ready for work, more later.

Blaine

- Users can subscribe to the list by sending email to vip_committees-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx with 'subscribe' in the Subject field OR by visiting the list page at //www.freelists.org/list/vip_committees. You can also unsubscribe, turn on and off Vacation Hold and set your preference for a once-a-day digest or to receive each message as it is posted on the list page.

- Online, searchable archives of the list are available at //www.freelists.org/archive/vip_committees Each list's archive is automatically updated as new messages come in.

- There's a FAQ at //www.freelists.org/wiki/the_faq.