[vicsireland] Re: research on audio CAPTCHA

  • From: "Flor Lynch" <florlync@xxxxxx>
  • To: <vicsireland@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 26 Jun 2008 11:57:17 +0100

Audio CAPTCHA is a bad idea, since it also discriminates against people with
hearing impairments (or none).  One instance recently:  There is a
classifieds list called craigslist in America, for which the list owners
felt obliged to make the audio CAPTCHA much more difficult than it had been
recently, due to advances in voice-recognition technology and mass sign-ups
that had been beginning to occur.  Now there is a petition asking to change
this again, since the audio is so 'painful' for those blind with no hearing
impairments as well.  (As i said, it is a US-based list.  Some will have
heard of craigslist.)

I favour the numbers alternative.  Surprisingly, it has been tried by some
organisations and found to be successful and no bots have yet abused it
apparently  (This is not to say that such won't ever ahappen.  But the days
of image CAPTCHA are numbered, since machines are beginning to recognise the
distorted images of alphanumeric characters.)  Finally, as we are being
victimised it isn't really our job to make the arguments in favour of visual
or audio CAPTCHA for those who would deploy it.  If CAPTCHA must be, then we
ought to have three or four alternative versions of CAPTCHA.