[vicsireland]

  • From: "Joan Ann Brosnan" <chairperson@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <vicsireland@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 1 Jun 2012 12:51:19 +0100

Hi all

Just a reminder about the upcoming VICS AGM and 25th celebrations.

VICS are celebrating their 25th anniversary this year and, to mark this
occasion, we are hosting a day long event which will incorporate The VICS
AGM (for VICS members only), an information day and a social get together in
the evening.

The event will take place on Saturday the 9th of June at the National League
of the Blind of Ireland at 21 Hill Street, Dublin 1.

We will begin the day at 1 PM with the Visually Impaired Computer Society
AGM. This is only open to paid up members of VICS. We would encourage as
many members as possible to attend as, we discuss the running of VICS, the
future direction of the society and elect a new committee for the coming
year. We would encourage members to consider joining the committee as, it is
always good to have new ideas and new people representing VICS.

At 3:30, we will have an informal information day where people will get a
chance to view some of the latest technology that VICS members find helpful.
You are also invited to bring along items of technology that you may find
useful that may be of interest to other blind and vision impaired people.

The list of presentations are:
1.  Ronan McGuirk will talk about the features and usability of the free
NVDA screen reader
2.  Ronan McGuirk will talk about and give a demo of the prototype being
developed to read and write Irish on the computer using eSpeak.
3.  Cearbhall O'meadhra will discuss and demonstrate the use of Bluetooth
keyboards with the iPhone.
4.  Ciaran Ferry will give a presentation on digital Television and its
accessibility for blind and vision impaired users.
5.  Declan Meenagh will give a demo of the Kindle which is used to read
e-books.

At 5:30, we will have an informal get together in the bar. VICS will provide
finger food for everyone. The bar will be open from 6 and will close at 10
o'clock. People are very welcome to bring musical instruments or to sing a
song. This will be an excellent opportunity for people to meet and should
make for an enjoyable evening.

if you could confirm your attendance by e-mail at
chairperson@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx no later than Tuesday the 4th of June as the
catering company need to know the number of people attending.

I look forward to seeing you there.

Kind regards
Joan Ann Brosnan
VICS chairperson.