[vicsireland] Re: ignorance of disc jockeys

  • From: "Flor Lynch" <florlync@xxxxxx>
  • To: <vicsireland@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 16 Sep 2009 22:53:06 +0100

Hi Gerry,

And how was the motormouthed or smartmouthed DJ supposed to describe someone who, though not formally 'vision impaired', without glasses has (or seems to have) a problem seeing? Is such a person *not* 'hard of seeing'? if that DJ had instead used the expression, 'visually impaired' or 'vision impaired' it would have been certainly politically incorrect: you or some other listeners would have been offended by it. 'Treading a fine line', I would say. Perhaps 'shortsighted' would be the correct description? but perhaps somebody would have been offended by that, too, it not being wholly accurate, etc. yes, one has to fight one's corner; but a bit of perspective is also useful.

----- Original Message ----- From: "GERARD SHANAHAN" <gershan@xxxxxx>