[vicsireland] Re: house alarm

  • From: Mark Magennis <mark.magennis@xxxxxxx>
  • To: vicsireland@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 25 Jun 2008 10:44:48 +0100

I'd love to know what Eircom would charge for installing a splitter containing a DSL filter! I bought one from Computer World for 3 Euro. Except that when I got it home I noticed it had was designed for UK telephones with the larger plug and socket. So I took it back and exchanged it for an Irish one and it cost 15 Euro! The Irish one was made by Belkin and the UK one was by some unknown manufacturer, but what a difference in price! I asked why they stocked the UK ones anyway since this Sligo is not in the UK and they said they didn't know but a few people had made the same mistake and had to bring them back. It's a wonder they stay in business.

Mark

On 25 Jun 2008, at 09:59, Ciaran Ferry wrote:

Mark - you beat me to it!

From what I've read inserting a splitter on the line should allow a line to be used for both broadband and phonewatch. Only problem with this is
that Eircom might charge an arm and a leg to do it, even though it's a
simple procedure. See below.

Of course if the apartment is wired for cable then you could always go
down that road for your broadband.

http://www.askaboutmoney.com/showthread.php?t=3864

... and this from the eircom phonewatch site:

Does broadband affect my PhoneWatch monitored system?
"If you have broadband installed our engineer can fit a broadband
splitter at the same time as your alarm is being installed. If your
broadband connection
is wirefree or cable, then a splitter will not be needed."
http://www.phonewatch.ie/index.php/faq/48

Hope this helps,

Ciaran

Commissioner please consult our website at www.orac.ie

for the presence of computer viruses.

Dr. Mark Magennis
Director of the Centre for Inclusive Technology (CFIT)
National Council for the Blind of Ireland
Whitworth Road, Dublin 9, Republic of Ireland
www.cfit.ie

mark.magennis@xxxxxxx   tel: +353 (0)71 914 7464

represent the views of NCBI

* ** *** ** * ** *** ** * ** *** ** *

Tá an t-eolas sa ríomhphost seo agus in aon chomhad a ghabhann leis rúnda agus ceaptha le haghaidh úsáide an té nó an t-aonáin ar sheoladh chuige iad agus na húsáide sin amháin.

Tá an t-eolas sa ríomhphost seo agus in aon chomhad a ghabhann leis rúnda agus ceaptha le haghaidh úsáide an té nó an aonáin ar seoladh chuige iad agus na húsáide sin amháin.

Any views or opinions presented are solely those of the author, and do not necessarily represent those of ESB.

Is tuairimí nó dearcthaí an údair amháin aon tuairimí nó dearcthaí ann, agus ní gá gurb ionann iad agus tuairimí nó dearcthaí BSL.

Má bhfuair tú an ríomhphost seo trí earráid, ar mhiste leat é sin a chur in iúl don seoltóir.

Although ESB scans e-mail and attachments for viruses, it does not guarantee that either are virus-free and accepts no liability for any damage sustained as a result of viruses.

Scanann BSL ríomhphoist agus ceangaltáin le haghaidh víreas, ach ní ráthaíonn sé go bhfuil ceachtar díobh saor ó víreas agus ní glacann dliteanas ar bith as aon damáiste de dhroim víreas.

Company Registration Information: http://www.esb.ie/companies
Eolas Cláraithe an Chomhlachta: http://www.esb.ie/companies

Dr. Mark Magennis
Director of the Centre for Inclusive Technology (CFIT)
National Council for the Blind of Ireland
Whitworth Road, Dublin 9, Republic of Ireland
www.cfit.ie

mark.magennis@xxxxxxx   tel: +353 (0)71 914 7464

NOTICE: The information contained in this email and any attachments is confidential and may be privileged. If you are not the intended recipient you should not use, disclose, distribute or copy any of the content of it or of any attachment; you are requested to notify the sender immediately of your receipt of the email and then to delete it and any attachments from your system.

NCBI endeavours to ensure that emails and any attachments generated by its staff are free from viruses or other contaminants. However, it cannot accept any responsibility for any such which are transmitted. We therefore recommend you scan all attachments.

Please note that the statements and views expressed in this email and any attachments are those of the author and do not necessarily represent the views of NCBI