[vicsireland] Questionnaire about public transport

  • From: "Tim Culhane" <tim.culhane@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <vicsireland@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 2 Oct 2009 08:18:41 +0100

Hi,

Find below a questionnaire from Magdalena Sliwa, a student in UCC who is
doing a master thesis on improving access to public transport for the
visually impaired.

Please return all filled out questionnaires to the supplied email address
before 12th October.

Regards,

Tim

Dear Sir / Madam,

My name is Magdalena. I study interactive media in University College Cork
(UCC). Currently I am working on my thesis and TrackExpress application.
This application is mobile phone based and uses GPS. The goal of the project
is to make visually impaired people more independent while using public
transport. I would really appreciate if you would find a little time to
answer a few questions that can be found in the below questionnaire. This
would be helpful for me to analyze current issues and concerns that visually
impaired people deal with while using public transport.
Please feel free to answer in any form you prefer, one way would be to fill
in the gaps after each question in  the questionnaire and send me the
document.
I intend to use received answers in my master thesis. Collected data is
anonymous.
I would really appreciate if you could return this questionnaire to my
e-mail magdalena.sliwa@xxxxxxxxx by 12th of October.
I would like to thank you in advance for your help. If you have any
questions, please contact me through my e-mail magdalena.sliwa@xxxxxxxxxx

Best regards,
Magdalena Sliwa
MSc Interactive Media
University College Cork
Cork, Ireland

Questions about public transport

A. Personal Information

1. Are you? (2 options)
Male_
Female_

2. What age group are you? (5 options)
16-25_
26-40_
41-60_
61-70_
Over 70_

3. Are you? (8 options)
Blind from birth_
Blind from childhood_
Blind from early adulthood_
Blind from middle or old age (after the age of 45 years)_
Visually impaired from birth_
Visually impaired from childhood_
Visually impaired from early adulthood_
Visually impaired from middle or old age (after the age of 45 years)_

4. Are you? (4 options)
Totally blind with no awareness of light_
Blind and able to distinguish light and dark_
Able to see shapes, but unable to distinguish detail or to read print_
Able to read very large print text_

5. Do you live in? (3 options)
A large city_
A medium sized town or city_
A village_

B. Questions About Public Transport

1(a) How many trips do you make on average every week?
Please specify_

1(b) What kind of public transport do you normally use?
Please specify_

1(c) In general what is the level of difficulty of your journeys? (5
options)
Very easy_
Easy_
Neither easy nor difficult_
Difficult_
Very difficult_

2(a) How often do you ask for assistance to find the correct bus stop? (5
options)
Never_
Until I am familiar with the route to the bus stop_
Most of the time_
Always_
Not relevant_

2(b) How often do you ask for assistance to identify the correct bus to get
on? (4 options)
Never_
Most of the time_
Always_
Not relevant_

2(c) How easy or difficult is it for you to identify the correct bus to get
on? (6 options)
Very easy_
Easy_
Neither easy nor difficult_
Difficult_
Very difficult_
Not relevant_

C. Use of Mobility Aids

1. Which mobility aid do you use most frequently?
Please specify _

2(a) Do you use any mobility aid to help you find your destination and/or
work out where you are on a route? (3 options)
Yes_
No_
If yes, then please specify_

2(b) How confident do you feel when using this aid that you will reach your
destination without problems? (6 options)
Very confident_
Confident_
Neither confident nor unconfident_
Unconfident_
Very unconfident_
I am not sure_

3(a) Have you previously used any other mobility aids, which you no longer
use? (2 options)
Yes_
No_

3(b) If yes, which one(s)?
Please specify_

3(c) What were the main reasons you no longer use this aid?
Please specify_

D. Development of New Mobility Aid

1. Do you think there is a need for new and improved mobility aid? (3
options)
Yes_
No_
I am not sure_

2. Do you think that a mini version of QWERTY keyboard attached to a mobile
phone would be a useful tool as an input? (3 options)
Yes_
No_
I am not sure_

3. Would you be interested in using an application where you can specify
your destination and the system would inform you what bus you could take,
what time it will arrive and where the nearest bus stop is? (3 options)
Yes_
No_
I am not sure_

E. Additional Comments

1. Which public transport do you find best to use, please explain why.
Please specify_

2. Which public transport do you find hardest to use, please explain why.
Please specify_

3. What are your main concerns while using public transport?
Please specify_

4 Do you have any suggestions for making travel easier for blind and
visually impaired people.
Please specify_

-------------------------
Tim Culhane,
Critical Path Ireland,
42-47 Lower Mount Street,
Dublin 2.
Direct line: 353-1-2415107
phone: 353-1-2415000

Tim.culhane@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
http://www.criticalpath.net

Critical Path
a global leader in digital communications