[vicsireland] Re: Pattern matching with Regular Expressions

Dear Donal,

Delighted to hear that it can be of such use to your students! I am getting
to grips with the concept for the first time myself.

You might be interested to know that I am using it with TextAloud. This is a
text to speech program that allows me to generate an audio version of a text
based article or book. In my case,  a friend of mine has written a novel and
I am creating an audio version of it in order to learn the process. I can
create a multi-voice dialogue by entering certain patterns into the
TextAloud system. With the help of TextAloud tech support, I have set up a
default voice that speaks the narrative of the book and another voice that
switches in to speak the dialogue when the start and end quotes have been
matched on the pattern that is entered into the TextAloud voice management
tool. I hope to create a means of generating audio for other publications in
the future. I am using the      Scansoft Moira speech engine. If you know of
any other decent quality free speech engines that I could use, please let me
know and I will put it with Scansoft Moira as an additional voice to use.

All the best,

Cearbhall

T: +353 (0)1 6364364 m: 08333 23487 E: omeadhrac@xxxxxxx