[vicsireland] Re: Pattern matching with Regular Expressions

  • From: Dónal Fitzpatrick <dfitzpat@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: vicsireland@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 3 Jul 2012 11:08:57 +0100

HI Cearbhall,

Great find that.  Just to let you know that O'reilly publishing also have a
very nice book on regular expressions.  They are used all over the Unix
operating system.  So for example, I can, using unix tools, look in all files
in a certain folder for, say, all student numbers beginning with "103", or
something like that.

Afraid I can't quite remember the name of the book offhand, but a search on
o'reilly will get it for you.

Thanks for the tutorial, I'll use it next year in class,

Dónal
On 3 Jul 2012, at 09:27, "Cearbhall O'Meadhra" <omeadhrac@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> Dear All,
>
> I came across this technique that looks very useful to a project that I am
> working on and which I thought might be of use to other members of VICS.
>
> In my project, I need to insert speech tags in parts of an entire book
> without making any changes to the original text. I can do this by using a
> "Regular Expression".
>
> Regular expressions are basically a pattern matching language.  If you can
> describe a pattern of text to look for, you can almost always form the
> pattern as a regular expression.  There is a pretty good tutorial at
> http://www.regular-expressions.info/ if you want to learn more.
>
> I am delighted to find that this web site is very easy to read with a screen
> reader.
>

> All the best,
>

> Cearbhall
>
> T: +353 (0)1 6364364 m: 08333 23487 E: omeadhrac@xxxxxxx

> message.
>
> To contact the moderator send mail to:
>
> tim.j.culhane@xxxxxxxxx
>
> For mor information on the Visually Impaired Computer Society visit:
>
> http://www.vicsireland.org

Dónal Fitzpatrick
dfitzpat@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx