[vicsireland] Re: Internet Banking

  • From: "Tony Murray" <tony.g.murray@xxxxxx>
  • To: <vicsireland@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 2 Nov 2006 16:28:47 -0000

Hi Maureen,

Firstly, let me say that I work on the Internet Banking development team, as
a software engineer and a project delivery manager.  Unfortunately, I have
little say as regards the introduction of security measures on various
channels, so I can't change anything really.  What I can do is pass on your
concerns (and my own) to the relevant bodies.

In your original mail, you asked how to access Internet Banking.  The
services offered by Internet Banking are similar to phone banking, and the
log on you use for the phone system should work on the Internet.  However,
you need to have this log on enabled to work on the Internet Banking
channel.  Your branch should be able to arrange this for you, if it is not
already set-up.

To log on to the Internet Banking system, go to:
http://www.aib.ie/internetbanking
and locate the Login link.

Activating this link should bring up a log in screen, which is quite
accessible.  Enter your eight digit registration code (as on the phone) and
choose to continue.  On the next screen, you need to enter random digits
from your personal access code (PAC) and the last four digits of your
registered business or home phone number.

By continuing from this screen, if all details are correct, you should get
in to Internet Banking.

The Codecard was introduced some time ago, to increase the security of
Internet Banking, and now phone banking.

You are required to enter a code from your Codecard if you wish to add a new
account to which you can transfer money to, carry out an International
Payment, or a One Off funds transfer... etc.

As of next week, you will be asked for a code from your Codecard to carry
out these operations on the phone.  Bad news, for sure.

However, you do not need a Codecard simply to log in either on the phone or
on the Internet.  When your accounts are added to your profile, you will not
need a code to transfer funds between them.

I have not come across an accessible solution for Codecards, and have not
seen one in Braille.

Up until now, the customer service agent on the phone has added up my
accounts, or carried out my International Transfers, after some extensive
verification process where I am deemed to be the person I am claiming to be.

My assumption (and we all know how dangerous those are) is that this
verification process will be carried on for us who can't read the Codecards
on the phone.  Unfortunately, without help, I have not been able to add new
accounts or do One Off Transfers online.  I need someone to read the code
from the card for me.

I will forward your mails to the managers of the channels, and have a chat
with my own colleagues about this problem.  They are aware of it, but it is
hard to get these things high on the agenda as you can imagine.

I'll get back to you and the list with any information I can gather.

Cheers,

Tony