[vicsireland] Free Webbie

  • From: "Flor Lynch" <florlync@xxxxxx>
  • To: <vicsireland@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 19 Jun 2008 17:40:22 +0100

Hi,

After a long hiatus, it appears the development of WebbIE has been taken up
again.  Some of us will recall or have heard of WebbIE, www.webbie.org.uk >,
which is a suite of programs that includes a free Web browser, a
pod-catcher, a podcast downloader, accessible versions of BBC IPlayer,
Gutenberg Library, BBC Listen Again Player, a Web Directory (based on the
Open Directory Project), an internet Explorer appearance editor, Internet
Radio tuner, BBC Radio Live Player, an accessible PDF Reader, RSS Reader,
and a few more things.  I like most of the programs in the suite.  Each of
them comes with a short manual, in the manuals Submenu  It is also available
in other languages, and can be pported to a USB pen drive.  Of the programs
in it that I've used in the few days since I downloaded version 3.6.9 of the
suite, I rate the BBC Listen Again (Radio) Player among the best.  Also, you
don't have to download the whole suite; you can download just what you want
from it.  Also, you get options during installation what to install or not.
Given that it's all free, I think it's a pretty good effort.  One of the
next steps the developer might consider, in my opinion, would be the
incorporation of Firefox into the scheme.  Although designed for use with a
simple screen-reader (such as thunder, Lookout, etc.), it can be used with
any screen reader.  I do have reservations about the Webbie browser itself,
but others may form different ideas if they look at it and the other
programs in the suite as I have been doing.  Once again, it's all at

www.webbie.org.uk/

So for those inclined, Download, and enjoy.