(VICT) teaching emotional response...was: Task ideas- Feedback?

Ann wrote: >>By the way, even though this topic may be a bit theoretical, I
think it has
important implications for our practical, day-to-day work with our animals.
For example, with a good intuitive grasp of these concepts, Sheila can teach
Gretch to be more confident in challenging street crossings and more
enthusiastic about guide work in general, and we can all teach our dogs to
assume body postures and behaviors which can make them less vulnerable to
loose dog attacks or to human petting assaults.  (Hmmm, those last two
examples--of the loose dog attacks and unwanted human attentions--show that
we can not only use cued behaviors to affect the emotional state of the
trained animal, but also to affect the emotional state and behavior of other
beings.)<<
Most certainly this is true.  Karen Pryor has a section on "Tag Teach" where
the principals we speak of in teaching our dogs are used for athletes, learning
disabilities and so much more.  Many of the most influential people we know
master principals such as these to effect action, change perceptions, influence
behavior.

I think we all in some way use these principals in our daily lives.  Some use
the more positive side of the 4 quadrants and some use the other side of the
quadrant.  Operant conditioning ....

We want to encourage our children to continue to do well we may praise them,
reward them for studying, getting good grades, cleaning their room.  Our
husband may dog the wash, or bring us something special or vacuum and we make a
point of saying what a wonderful job he did or how special he was for doing
it,...and so much more...for all genders and relationships this evokes good
feelings and encourages the person to repeat the behavior (mark and reward).

or some use more of a coercion part of the principals ...focus on correcting
unwanted behavior by focusing on it.  setting corrections for not studying,
scold a person for not vacuuming.... they will repeat the behavior to avoid the
coercion and bad feeling they get.

I am not as eloquent in expressing what I know is true right now....
You stated so well in your post so instead of rambling through my pain med fog
any longer I will end this by saying I know what you wrote so well is true in
that we can effect emotion and teach behaviors that evoke and encourage
emotional response.

I just think that a momentary tail tuck would have a lasting effect. ....Hmmmm
again I find the question intriguing.

Best Wishes & Wags,
Diane & Raven
APDT#72225
http://AssistanceDogJournal.net
"My Assistance Dog is not my whole life, but she makes my life whole"
~D.L.Shotwell
"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened."
~Anatole France

All posts are considered copyrighted by the author. You must get
permission from the poster before forwarding.