(VICT) sniffing/gentle leader

  • From: "Ioana Gandrabur" <igandrabur@xxxxxx>
  • To: "Vi-clickertraining" <vi-clicker-trainers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 7 Jul 2008 13:35:12 -0400

HI all,

Recently I have decided to address Adrian's sniffing and snagging food
issue. The school recommends using the gentle leader to be more aware of his
movements. I have only one problem: He does not seem to love it. Tries to
paw at it. I have tried to reward him for having it on etc and in fact, if I
distract him when he is rubbing his face against my leg etc. he seems fine
and his pace is fine. Any other suggestions for making his work as little
unpleasant as possible?

I have started to work with food dropped in areas that I know we will pass
and reward him for ignoring it. It works but he senses when I am careful and
will not refrain from snagging if I am not explicitly watching him. However
I should add that My Sneaky rascal is a great guide dog after all in all
other respects.

Thanks for your advice,

Ioana