(VICT) What a Triumph!

  • From: "Karyn and Thane" <bcpaws4me@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Vi-clicker" <vi-clicker-trainers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 28 Jul 2008 18:00:36 -0700

We are tired but a good tired tonight. Thane has become quite determined of
late that he does not want to eat his present food any longer. We headed to
the petstore and picked up a couple things there before heading to the bank
for change. I am going to pull off a garage sale this weekend if the weather
holds. Ask me afterwards if I feel as much of a lunatic as I think I am- but
hey, its all for a good cause, more money for training and work equipment
for Thane Smile
Anyway, afterwards which included a dog jumping Thane- argggg people and
their out of control growlers, we were headed to my folks for a run. I have
taken the route so many times myself I could do it in my sleep. This was not
to be the casual stroll to grammie and grandpa's this time however!
Construction man alive construction city! Not only did it eliminate our curb
cut for getting off the sidewalk but it required us to J-walk at a different
location to use the other side where we could then turn into the shortcut
path towards their house, but I felt it would be safer this way. I had no
idea however that the road was cut out too. Thane cautioned me and found a
more even spot but when I said *Right* to turn into the shortcut, he jumped
up it and down it and then went forward. I almost told him no, *Right* but
instead halted him and got out my ID cane and sure enough momma not wanna
jump that! I looked at him and said Good Boy  Thane you were right
*Forward*! Smile. I knew sorta how to do the longer route but that was with
my seasoned guide and when my vision was quite a bit better.
Thane and I got going the long route. He did great as long as I did the
right thing. Oh this momma is all turned around directionally. When we
turned onto my folks street my mom was headed out trying to find us- more to
stop us I think- she worries so much LOL She had forgotten about the
construction. We got to grammies and had a wonderful time running and
playing, even with the Shi Tzus. Of course they felt they needed to have a
clique without Thane at first. He was so good with those little tots.
I did have a bit of a debuncle with my leash on the way back to the bus. I
can probably mend it but boy do I hate center wheel drive chairs when it
comes to leashes. One slip of my grip at the wrong moment and its ate for
lunch LOL
I am so so proud of this guy today though. Oh and we did all of this on a
martingale collar too.
Though I still feel more connected with a GL in relation to my deafblindness
and his length, I've been working with him with the martingale to add to our
teamwork and functioning skills, but this was the first we did out of our
community. And I picked a dewsey of a time to try that huh? Smile

Karyn and Thane