(VICT) Trusting Thane

  • From: "Karyn and Thane" <bcpaws4me@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Vi-clicker" <vi-clicker-trainers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 9 Feb 2008 12:33:38 -0800

Its been an interesting week around here. I have been focusing more on
hearing alert training but continuing my efforts to work on Thane's guide
training in the community. Its very cool how much easier training goes if I
wear him out a bit first before doing much focus on what he has learned to
do. He is very easily distracted by people still but that is to be expected
at his age.
Today though something awesome happened. You know how when people are in
Driver's ed they always warn you about the double tracks in case another
train may be coming. Well in Guide training it should be that another car
could be coming giggle
Thane did a wonderful halt at a curbcut when he knew a car was coming with
no cues of any kind from me. After the car went, I told Thane *Across* and
he looked at me and looked the other way and looked at me and *REFUSED* to
go. Another car was coming the other direction that I had not heard! Oh My!
I never expected anything like this so soon. Granted we were on the quieter
streets and there were no people to distract him, but still...
Then we crossed and he used the driveway we need to for a curb cut so we
could keep on walking. Later when we crossed the street and headed back
towards home he also used another driveway for the down curbcut because the
sidewalk ends there.
We have been working with *Back* also as we maneuver together. Early on it
was a hassle to take him to dump the garbage or get the mail. He was always
in my way navigating especially at the mail as they stupidly have about 23
mailboxes lined up in a row rather than locked boxes here. Now all I have to
do is say back and he takes a step back for me so I can do what I  need. We
practice it as we walk too- doing halt, back, behind, sit, etc. Now that I
have a lesh setup that really works for us things really are picking up.
I think though that he may be getting on the chubby side due to the increase
in training indoors and not enough real energy burning activity this past
month. I can not wait until the better weather comes and we can get out and
train more regularly without worrying about rain. Thane gets pretty dirty in
this weather.
But for today I am going to sit here and reflect on that awesome traffic
work Thane did, even if it was on a quieter street with no distractions.

Karyn and Thane