(VICT) Re: training to walk straight when there is no sidewalk

  • From: "Karyn" <bcpaws4me@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Vi-clicker" <vi-clicker-trainers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 26 Aug 2011 09:27:14 -0700

Others will have better ideas I am sure but for what its worth here is how I
addressed this with Thane.

I initially used my cane to feel our position on the street- ie how close to
property line/ field I was Then we proceeded to walk forward. I would
occasionally stop and check with my cane how far out we had gone or if we
had stayed close to the propery lines. If not we moved back in a bit, if we
did I praised him saying *good edge* Just a word I chose to use so that
eventually I could ask him to find the edge.

I just used a practice makes perfect type of mentality though. I'm lucky to
have two streets close by that I can practice this on and they are the only
way off our street other than the shortcut path which is also no sidewalks.
It meant we just had to wing it initially and figure it out as we went. This
approach with feeling the edge really helped.

I'm sorry Cali is jealous- all in due time they will hopefully become
friends.

Karyn and Thane