(VICT) Re: stairs and curbs

  • From: "Julie J." <jlcrane@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <vi-clicker-trainers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 21 Sep 2007 15:21:27 -0500

Thanks Ann!

Right now I'm leaning toward the two feet up and stop procedure.  I think it
will be fairly easy to transition to a pause later if I want to.

I absolutely love that Panda taps the step with her hoof!  That's one thing
that I really love about clicker is that our animals aren't afraid to try
new things or add in their $.o2 to the team.

I had never thought about different indications for different amounts of
steps.  that's interesting.  I'll have to ponder that some more.  I'm not
sure the dog would get enough practice to keep the skill clear and fresh.
Same thing with elevators and escalators.  Ahhh, the joys of small town
life! *smile*

I have filled out all the application materials, been accepted and have paid
for the dog.  so now it's just waiting until the right dog comes along.
they are looking at a third dog this week.  The first two hopefuls didn't
fit exactly what I was looking for.    September or October was what we were
shooting for, so I'm still hopeful that the time frame will work out.  My
goal is to have the dog acquainted with the basics of guide work before it
snows.

In the meantime I am making a list of everything I want to teach the new
dog, ironing out how exactly I want to work specific situations, like the
stairs and curbs and my major project of writing a training plan for all of
this.  I may end up writing up some in advance and then working on it a week
in advance as we progress through training.  We'll have to see how ambitious
I get. *smile*

Thanks for your ideas about the stairs and curbs.
Julie
http://www.livingblind.com/eml
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and
those who matter don't mind.

Dr. Seuss