(VICT) Re: escallator travel

  • From: Sheila Styron <sheilastyron@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: vi-clicker-trainers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 23 Jul 2007 10:15:33 -0500

Kitty, your explanation makes perfect sense, and it is difficult to
imagine what happened to Sunstar's paw if she jumped in time. I am so
used to doing escalators now that your experience serves as a good
reminder of why schools didn't train this task for so many years. I once
vacuumed my cat's tail with the beater bar of my machine, because I
guess she was playing chicken with me and didn't move. I of course
didn't know she was there, and when she screamed, I thought I was going
to die. The tail hung limply, and as I got us to the vet, I didn't know
quite how I would be able to live normally if Kitty Romba didn't recover
from my unintended assault. Fortunately, the tail recovered except for a
small lump to remind me of the horrible experience. To make this post
clicker related, I was thinking about how someone blind could use the
clicker to help with good timing on escalators for a guide dog, and my
initial reaction is that it is a pretty visual process. It has always
been my instinct to let the dog who was trained to perform this task
have as much freedom as she wants in deciding when to make her moves,
and I don't know how I would click any of the steps in the process. Both
my dogs who have done escalators have been a bit over eager about
jumping  off at the end of the ride, and I have had to make certain they
don't leap too soon or energetically, without impeding their ability to
make enough of a move to get off safely. Once off, both have acted as if
they have hit a home run or something and have enjoyed wagging their own
tails for a job well done.

Sheila Styron, President
Guide Dog Users, Inc.
816-363-3172