(VICT) Re: escallator travel

  • From: "DIANNE B. PHELPS AND PRIMROSE" <d.bphelps@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <vi-clicker-trainers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 22 Jul 2007 19:24:44 -0700

Sandy,

Some of the guide dog schools do teach techniques for doing escallators,
including GDB which is my school. It is really quite an amazing skill, but
you really do have to be careful with it. The fur which grows between the
pads must be trimmed so it does not run the risk of becoming caught in the
mechanism of the moving steps.

We were also told that if this was not something we could use regularly,
that we should not do it at all because the dogs need to be doing the skill
regularly in order to remember how to do it carefully. Here, where I live,
it really is not a necessity, though when I lived in the Bay Area and needed
to use BART, it would have saved us many many problems. I truly believe
escallators should not be built without accompanying stairs. Stairs were
available, but often at another entrance to the under-ground train system
which would put you off at an incorrect location at your destination. I
always hated BART for that reason. It was definitely not that easy to use in
my opinion. Obviously, people do manage, but I didn't enjoy it.

Dianne and Primrose