(VICT) Re: dog refuses to move

  • From: "Karyn and Thane" <bcpaws4me@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Vi-clicker" <vi-clicker-trainers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 27 May 2009 08:55:56 -0700

I'd also second what Melinda said and use the other post I and others have
made as resources for only if nothing is wrong.
Often times a dog won't put everything into it with joint problems and that
does not always show up on Xrays if its just beginning to be a problem. Also
keep in mind that the spine can have changes just like other joints
(depending on this dogs age)
I had tried for some time to convince my vet to do Xrays on Met's spine and
tail. It took him going in as an emergency client seeing another vet at the
practice to get the Xrays some two years later. The result was that Met had
severe spondylosis. He had already stepped out of harness and was only doing
service and hearing dog tasks at that point, but at that point his body was
also beginning to shut down. Obviously I am no longer with that vet.
This is the severity of reasons why a dog may not want to guide if in fact
its been a happy guide dog. Many things can affect them- sore paws, sore
shoulder, improperly fitting harness, even training methods that are
harsher.

Karyn and Thane