(VICT) Re: Trusting Thane

  • From: "Tamara Smith-Kinney" <tamara.8024@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <vi-clicker-trainers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 9 Feb 2008 18:56:12 -0800

Good boy!

Tami Smith-Kinney

-----Original Message-----
From: vi-clicker-trainers-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:vi-clicker-trainers-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Karyn and
Thane
Sent: Saturday, February 09, 2008 12:34 PM
To: Vi-clicker
Subject: (VICT) Trusting Thane

Its been an interesting week around here. I have been focusing more on=20
hearing alert training but continuing my efforts to work on Thane's =
guide=20
training in the community. Its very cool how much easier training goes =
if I=20
wear him out a bit first before doing much focus on what he has learned =
to=20
do. He is very easily distracted by people still but that is to be =
expected=20
at his age.
Today though something awesome happened. You know how when people are in =

Driver's ed they always warn you about the double tracks in case another =

train may be coming. Well in Guide training it should be that another =
car=20
could be coming giggle
Thane did a wonderful halt at a curbcut when he knew a car was coming =
with=20
no cues of any kind from me. After the car went, I told Thane *Across* =
and=20
he looked at me and looked the other way and looked at me and *REFUSED* =
to=20
go. Another car was coming the other direction that I had not heard! Oh =
My!=20
I never expected anything like this so soon. Granted we were on the =
quieter=20
streets and there were no people to distract him, but still...
Then we crossed and he used the driveway we need to for a curb cut so we =

could keep on walking. Later when we crossed the street and headed back=20
towards home he also used another driveway for the down curbcut because =
the=20
sidewalk ends there.
We have been working with *Back* also as we maneuver together. Early on =
it=20
was a hassle to take him to dump the garbage or get the mail. He was =
always=20
in my way navigating especially at the mail as they stupidly have about =
23=20
mailboxes lined up in a row rather than locked boxes here. Now all I =
have to

do is say back and he takes a step back for me so I can do what I  need. =
We=20
practice it as we walk too- doing halt, back, behind, sit, etc. Now that =
I=20
have a lesh setup that really works for us things really are picking up.
I think though that he may be getting on the chubby side due to the =
increase

in training indoors and not enough real energy burning activity this =
past=20
month. I can not wait until the better weather comes and we can get out =
and=20
train more regularly without worrying about rain. Thane gets pretty =
dirty in

this weather.
But for today I am going to sit here and reflect on that awesome traffic =

work Thane did, even if it was on a quieter street with no distractions.

Karyn and Thane=20