(VICT) Re: Traffic Training and the Decision to Train a Guide

  • From: "Julie J." <jlcrane@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <vi-clicker-trainers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 10 Apr 2007 12:57:42 -0500

I agree completely with Ann.  Training a guide dog is not rocket science.
It takes time, patience and hard work, but it is not particularly difficult.
At least that was my experience.

About traffic training... I just wanted to add that dogs already have a
strong sense of self preservation.  they don't want to be run over.  Really
all I did about traffic training was to expand and define this already built
in response.

I do have to say though, that traffic training was not really all that
important to me.  I felt safe around traffic when I used a cane and that
feeling hasn't changed with Belle.  I do appreciate her help especially when
there is a lot of wind or background noise making it difficult to hear cars.
She does provide some extra information that I didn't get from a cane, but
the responsibility of safety is still mine.  JMHO

Julie
http://www.livingblind.com/eml
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and
those who matter don't mind.

Dr. Seuss