(VICT) Re: Task ideas- Feedback?

  • From: "DIANNE B. PHELPS AND PRIMROSE" <d.bphelps@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <vi-clicker-trainers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 1 Sep 2007 20:38:32 -0700

Diane,

Don't you think, however, that most people who become good handlers learn to
think outside of that box by the nature of experiencing life and, of course,
by learning from other top notch handlers?

I feel that so many things with my dogs have been the result of my own
common sense working upon what we were told in the box, and in many ways, my
dogs, for example, become more easily voice controlled than correction
controlled, something I was doing way before positive reinforcement and
clicker techniques. I may have started with corrections to show the dogs
what I wanted, but as they understood, just a simple voice command or
simple, "No" solves most situations.

Even in talking about handling their tails, though I haven't used a command,
my dogs have learned from my touch what I mean and help with the maneuver. I
kind of believe that these things aren't tought us in training, we have
either come to these conclusions on our own or our methods have been learned
from someone else who drew the conclusion

The other Dianne with 2 n's and Primrose