(VICT) Re: Task ideas- Feedback?

  • From: "DIANNE B. PHELPS AND PRIMROSE" <d.bphelps@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <vi-clicker-trainers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 31 Aug 2007 15:17:02 -0700

Ann,

These thoughts are fascinating to me, and I must give them some thought. I
have had dogs who carry their wagging tails high and low while guiding.
Often they will start out wagging and then be held high or low in a still
manner. Both of these, I have felt were because of concentration.

When I have worked on protective tail matters, I have not really taught it
as a commanded skill, but rather, something I started by doing for them to
protect their tail. I would do this on the bus and in the car and so on. As
time has passed, as I routinely do this, I find my dogs help by moving their
tails in the way I have under these same circumstances. I don't know that it
has ever been associated with an emotion as such since I do this as a
calming and protective measure and keep myself calm and reassuring to my
dogs.

As a blind person working with a dog, I am not sure that I know about all of
the physical behaviors my dog displays at times in that I find that it is a
certain type of body tension or closeness or aimless moving about which
Primmy does which tells me when my dog is nervous or upset. I am not always
aware of the animal's ears or tail. I might feel a crouch as part of some
fear reaction or a backing up behavior. These, however, are often cues for
me to move with my dog for a given reason. I should think that some of the
skills of a guide dog are the result of making them, for example, fear that
moving vehicle with its sound and heat because it will hurt us.

I actually think I need to read about this subject more because I think
there may be some considerations in this regard to consider.

I will be interested in reading the thoughts of others on this as I find
this really interesting.

Dianne and Primrose