(VICT) Re: Task ideas- Feedback?

  • From: "DIANNE B. PHELPS AND PRIMROSE" <d.bphelps@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <vi-clicker-trainers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 31 Aug 2007 14:00:29 -0700

Sheila,

I don't think I have ever taught this as a specific task, but tend to help
my dog tuck the tail when on a bus so she doesn't get stepped on. I use it
when closing the door to a car, and I guide their tail when sitting down on
a couch behind a coffee table where there are things on the table which
could be swished off. It is like they don't always know that their tails can
cause them trouble. I think in this case, the suggestion is to teach this as
a commanded behavior.

I know you have done these things too. It is just that those of us who have
just done these things, don't always think of it as a learned skill for our
dogs, and I find when I see some of the things taught as skills or
behaviors, I have to stop and think about the behaviors as things I have
just done, but in a different way. Now, people are able to give words to
these things where we learned by trial and error how to keep our dogs from
causing themselves trouble.

I find it interesting how some of the newer training methods do address
things we used our hands to do or placed our dogs to do without giving words
to what we were doing. We are more experienced humans learning new tricks to
help our dogs know what we need.

Dianne and Primrose