(VICT) Re: Pulling or not pulling

  • From: "Ann Edie" <annedie@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <vi-clicker-trainers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 21 Dec 2008 00:57:14 -0500

Hi, Christy,

For what it's worth--I usually hold the harness handle as Colby described,
with my thumb next to my index finger and only a couple of fingers curled
around the harness handle.  I once had a guide dog trainer ask me if, with
my hand in this position,  I would be able to hold onto the harness and
follow my guide if the guide suddenly backed up in order to avoid a car that
unexpectedly was about to cross our path.  The answer is that I think it
would depend on how sudden and how forceful the movement was.  So I guess
this is a safety issue that you might want to keep in mind if you choose to
hold the harness handle this way.  I think his point was that, with the
thumb curled around the back of the handle, you would be more likely to be
moved back as the handle moved back, and your hand would more likely not
slip off the handle.

Just something to consider.  I think of this from time to time when I'm
walking along with Panda.  I sometimes experiment with keeping my thumb
curled around the back side of the handle, but I usually go back to the
thumb next to the index finger position.  It just seems more natural for me.

Best,
Ann