(VICT) Re: Non-verbal cues-ideas needed.

  • From: Infinitepaws@xxxxxxx
  • To: vi-clicker-trainers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 10 Oct 2007 21:02:47 EDT

In a message dated 10/10/2007 8:50:40 A.M. Mountain Daylight Time,
sheilastyron@xxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:
I think  getting Alex to react
to nonverbal requests will be a breeze for you, and I  wish your return
to good health.

The basic cues should be ok since I have deaf Great Danes.. what I  am  more
concerned about is the cues to find places like the bus  stops/benches, seats,
trash as well as her retrieve cues for different items.. I  have realized how
many verbal cues I use that may need to be re-taught with  non-verbal
cues..Maybe I shouldn't worry too much about it until I find out what  I will
have as
far as vocal capabilities.. but part of me tries to think ahead  and focusing
on this helps keep me from just sitting down and laughing/crying
hysterically.. Dog training as therapy.. Lord, I must sound really unstable..
tiny
grin..maybe I should brush up the basic hand signals I use with all the  dogs
and
try out some for her guide work.. She still cant really go in public  with me
as she still smells faintly of the skunk from a couple weeks ago..  Anyone know
how long before she will smell ok? But we c ould work out on the  streets in
the neighborhood..Although I am incredibly exhausted and have been  going to
bed between 7 and 8 pm each night.. I could work on it on the  weekend.

Sandy Foushee
Infinite Paws-Abilities Training and Service  Dogs
Teamed with Alexandra Guide/Service Dog
Colorado Service/Assistance  Dog Club - Trainer.-