(VICT) Re: I got my dog to come using the clicker

  • From: "Karyn and Thane" <bcpaws4me@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Vi-clicker" <vi-clicker-trainers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 13 Jul 2008 17:35:04 -0700

That is neat Jackie. What I would do to get the sit following the come is to
then ask for sit and click and treat for it. If you do this enough,
eventually it will be so natural- like second nature. Others here may teach
this differently. I find for me, its actually easier for me to do Thane's
leash connection in a *stand* but that has to do with his height and me
being in a wheelchair.
If your dog does not know the sit command, I will let others discuss the
*perfect* clicker training way as I did some luring with Thane. Once he
understood I withdrew the lure. Luring can if you are not careful create
problems though like it did for me in teaching *stand* It took forever to be
able to remove the lure for Thane. There's a fine line between using it as
an assist early on (for those who feel the need for it) and not withdrawing
it soon enough so they feel its part of the process of standing. This is
especially true of dogs like Border Collies! Silly guys are just too smart
for their own goods sometimes.

Karyn and Thane