(VICT) Re: Dog breeds

  • From: Jill Gross <jgross@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: vi-clicker-trainers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2007 00:53:28 -0400 (EDT)

Hi Val,
The Mareemmas you mentioned sound very interesting. My breed of choice as
far as dogs that I have as pets and, secondarily, for comformation showing
are slaukis. I love all of the sighthound breeds. The salukis is generally
very aloof and have a low food drive. They can be very serious out in
public, but at home they are clown hounds. I think that positive training
is just perfect for sighthounds. I used to have collies and German
shepherds as pets. When I got into salukis, I had to give up all of the
old, harsher methods of training. Forget a choke collar, and you wouldn't
dream of giving one a leash correction. Harsh training methods simply
builds a wall between you and the dog and you are very unlikely to get the
desired result.

Salukis and other sighthounds often said to be dumb by folks who aren't
very knowledgable about canine behavior. Sighthounds are highly
intelligent, but they are very oriented toward what's in it for them.
Again, clicker training is perfect for them.

So, salukis are my breed of choice in general. I can't imaigne life
without them in my life. Having said that, I am not necessarily planning
on training a saluki as a guide. Back in the 1950's, a saluki breeder form
New York donated a female saluki to the Seeing Eye. She was trained and
given to David Loux who worked at the school for many years. I contacted
David about ten years ago and asked questions about his experience with
her. He said that on a scale of one to ten in working ability, she was a
twelve. She was fabulous. His only complaint was that she was too serious
overall as a dog. Needless to say, I often think aobut what David
said. I have had salukis since 1996. Some have been purchased as pups and
some have been rescues. Some have had very steady personalities and some
have been what I consider to be too anxious to handle the stress of guide
work.

One problem with a salukis is that they are gorgeous, very elegant
animals. I have had a couple who, when walked in town, have literally
stopped traffic. I have often had people leaning out of car windows
yelling questions about my dogs. It can be difficult enough to keep people
from petting and otherwise distracting a service dog without having them
be extraordinarily striking. I recall that the Seeing Eye would never use
white shepherds for that very reason. They drew too much attention.

I have looked at a couple of other breeds. An interesting one is the black
Russian terrier. The ones I have met are very sound and attentive,
hard-working dogs. A breeder I know has had a few of her pups trained as
assistance dogs. My problem with them has to do with all of that hair! I
have major carpal tunnel issues and extensive grooming is out of the
question for me. I have a very ahrd time keeping my long-haired shepherd
looking respectable. A black Russian has a lot of long, heavy coat. They
also are quite large. I can't quite imagine fitting one of these guys
under a seat on a bus.

I would be interested to hear if others have worked with any "unusual"
breeds or mixes. When I was a kid, I was super impressed by
shepherd/collie mixes. They were bright and eager to learn. Nowadays, I
would be afraid that they got more of the negatives in the mix simply
because both breeds have been so overbred in this country.

Jill