(VICT) Re: Clyde and a guide harness

  • From: "Karyn and Thane" <bcpaws4me@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Vi-clicker" <vi-clicker-trainers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 15 Jul 2008 15:44:49 -0700

Ohhh yes! I do remember that stage. Honestly for us, it just took time Ridge
for Thane to be eager to get dressed and go. Early on it was easier to dress
him using *paws* so that I could get the entire harness fastened before he
promptly hunchman sat making it impossible for me to finish fastening it. I
had totally forgotten this stage. Met did not have it near as severely as
Thane. Near the end of April though he became real eager to come get
dressed. It was a process for sure! Sometimes I tell him I am going for the
mail and he will line up right beside me thinking he is going. Both the
asphalt and rock are too hot this time of year though so he rarely gets to
go to the mail these days. The point is that it usually does improve with
time. I'm not sure if you are working him with the American style (loops for
the guide handle) or British style (no loops) but the Freedom Design harness
style has worked real well for me combined with a handle from Julie at On
the Go. The reason I bring this up is the girth strap is further back. If he
does not adjust to the harness in a length of time, that could be another
option. Its hard working through the process of getting them used to the
harness. For Thane I always take him to run on flexi at the park before we
do any training or work or sometimes come home to play and veg. I think the
aspect that we always are headed to run really helps because one day when he
did not want to get dressed, I said fine and went and did some errands with
my cane. No run before I left. Its not exactly how I like to do things but I
had lots of  things to do that morning. He never again refused me when I
wanted to put on the harness and generally got better every day after that.
I had been trying to get this down easier for at least a month or two at
that time.

Karyn and Thane