(VICT) Re: Buckley being aggressive......

  • From: Meg Irizarry <arjay@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: vi-clicker-trainers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 28 Oct 2007 11:42:30 -0500

Hi Ridge,

I have been reading about the posts about Buckley and wanted to offer
my opinion.  First, let me say that those who have responded have
offered some wonderful ideas and suggestions.  Sandy is so on the
money with mentioning management.  Until several months ago, I'm not
sure I would have had anything valuable to add or suggest.  However,
I became aware of a fairly new treatment for aggression within the
last few months.  It's called the CAT approach - Constructional
Aggression Treatment.  Basically, it is a shaping program as opposed
to a standard program using desensitization.  It has shown incredible
results and compared to desensitization, results are quick.

Here is the basic concept:

First consider that aggression or any behavior is extremely specific
to the environment.  This explains why Buckley doesn't show
aggression at church.  You mention he is only reactive at two
places.  These then, are the places you need to work with him.

You will not be using food at all, since food is not what he
considers the reinforcer in those situations.  I think it's really
important for us humans to remember that we do not determine
reinforcers.  The dog does.  By introducing food into the equation in
a situation like yours, we tend to muddy up the environmental cues
and triggers.  Not to mention that many dogs are simply too aroused
to even care about food during episodes of reactivity.  It's also one
less thing to worry about with regards to timing.

So, consider what Buckley wants when he is growling or beginning to
react.  He wants more distance between him and the scary person.
Having the scary thing retreat will become his reinforcer.

Determine his trigger threshold.  This is done the same as in
desensitization.  You'll work outside his threshold to begin
with.  You also want to try and recreate the environment as closely
as possible to the real life circumstances in which he would normally
react.  Remember - behavior is absolutely specific to the environment!

You then begin by having the scary person walk towards the dog until
he begins to growl (if this is his first warning).  The person should
approach the dog normally.  Sometimes in desensitization, we alter
our approach by perhaps turning sideways and not looking at the
dog.  With the CAT approach, you do not alter your approach and
should maintain eye contact with the dog.  This doesn't mean trying
to stare him down, but looking at him normally.  When he begins to
react, the SP (scary person) stops and stands still.  The dog will
normally continue to growl or bark.  The SP waits it out.  When the
dog shows any sign of relaxing or stops growling or barking, even for
a second, the SP retreats, which in essence is issuing the desired reinforcer.

You then continue in this manner, shaping his
behavior.  Interestingly, there is also a point in the process where
the dog "switches over" and decides that SP may not be the SP they
once thought.  You might observe some ambivalence in the dog's
posture. You then can see the dog actually enjoying petting or at
that point, treats.

It's a fascinating, new approach to treating aggression, researched
and developed extensively by Dr. Jesus Rosales-Ruiz and Kellie Snider
at the University of North Texas.

I hope this helps a little.

Meg

arjay@xxxxxxxx