(VICT) Re: Buckley being aggressive......

  • From: "Diane & Raven" <dlshotwell2@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <vi-clicker-trainers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 31 Oct 2007 21:09:47 -0400

>>the issues came when they were about 2-2 1/2.  they weren't like that before.
>> I really think that it is something I am doing.
Ridge and Buckley Guide/SD<<
If this is remotely so I am sure it is not on purpose.
I did not want to add to your concern.  I have found that being more aware of
what my reactions are in some situations can be very beneficial in helping a
dog I am working with through the situation.

If I turn a loose leash into a tense one out of instinctually anticipating a
dog wondering toward another dog or a child it may signal to my dog that there
is something to be concerned about even if it had not already occurred to them.

Another example would to monitor my breathing in a situation that may become
stressful.  The rapid breathing can be a signal to the dog to be alert to some
thing out of the ordinary.

Another example: many handlers that compete with their dogs will chew, suck on
or spray something into their mouth to mask the scent of changes in chemical
and breathe that are caused in human by anxiety so that the dog does not smell
their anxiety...

These are just a few examples... I tend to hold my breath when anxious ... I
have to monitor and concentrate on diaphamatic breathing so that breath uptake
and holding does not become a concern to the dog I am working with.

this is just a small part of any situation...environment, history, trauma,
health and other stressors and experience all play a part in this type of
situation.

I will be keeping good thoughts for the both of you...

Best Wishes & Wags,
Diane & Raven
APDT#72225
http://AssistanceDogJournal.net
"My Assistance Dog is not my whole life, but she makes my life whole"
~D.L.Shotwell
"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened."
~Anatole France
"*People are who they are by what they do, think and believe.. not by how
they  look, what they weigh or what they are or are not able to do..*

All posts are considered copyrighted by the author. You must get
permission from the poster before forwarding.