(VICT) Re: Alex- Dog Attack

  • From: metnme2 <metnme2@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Vi-Clicker <vi-clicker-trainers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 1 Sep 2007 17:28:28 -0700 (PDT)

Debi How do you always make me laugh when I am having
a hard day! You are such a gift ya know Smile
Its hard to believe its been a year already since Peek
went to the Bridge. Hugs
I laughed so hard about the pepperspray comments you
made. After Met was attacked anytime I went anywhere I
had that pepperspray accessible easily to grab and
spray, but I also had plenty of treats and a couple
cheap tennis balls that could be thrown as well. I
have not used the pepperspray often but boy there were
two times I was glad to have it!
I think it was me who said I hate small dogs- I
apologize for how that came out. I should have been
more clear- its the untrained ones whose owners think
since Met is a service dog he should just *deal* with
all their rugrats want to dish out...sigh
We had a papillion in Met's agility class in
California. Gosh I just loved that little guy. He was
so smart and spunky but so obedient as well. It
shocked me when on cue he jumped right up into my lap
in my power wheelchair. So no I don't hate all small
dogs- its those ones who have trained their owners to
let them attack the world whether it is interfering
with us or aggressive in nature.
I have to say I dealt with a lot less problems with
dogs: loose or aggressive in California than I do
here. There was a time back in 2003 when I was lucky
if we got through one day without an aggressive loose
dog incident. Now, either people are learning or their
animals have died or they have moved away. I did wind
up turning 3 people in. One already had marks against
them with animal control and one really learned
eventually from the incident and is really cool. He
keeps her under control a lot better now. Our animal
control though has gone extremely downhill so calling
them is basically a chance to hear yourself talk LOL
I used the barking dog strategy that Debi mentioned a
number of years ago with some dogs that we always had
to deal with. These guys were also dogs that would
never shut up. It honestly works! It got so all I had
to do is say Hi Guys when they would start in and they
would settle right down. These are dogs that barked
for years like this I am sure. I honestly do not know
what became of them. Just one day they were gone. Its
still the same people living there, but no dogs. I
actually miss them now.

Karyn