(VICT) Nixon's 7th birthday and retirement question

  • From: "Jen&Nixon" <jenandnixon@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <vi-clicker-trainers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 9 May 2010 22:16:44 -0700

Time flies fast when you are having fun, or in my case, busy running around
like a chicken with her head cut off! I can't believe it.... my boy turns 7
tomorrow (Monday)!!!

When I was first matched up with Nixon, when he wasn't quite two years old,
over five years ago at the Oregon campus of GDB, our lives at the time was
dull. I wasn't in school, didn't have a job or anything of the sort. Now,
Nixon and I have a full plate! The schedule I keep is so erratic, enough
that keeps Nixon wondering what we do and where we go! He was exposed to a
lot of new routes and new places to be in the last year, and a great deal
more walking as well. College life, there was not enough, to me anyways,
challenges in Nixon's guidework to keep him sharp. He knew the way since I
had my classes in the same classroom for all three years! Things slowed to a
crawl once we had my sister's wedding and my graduation for a while. I
needed that break, but was glad, my life slowly picked up drastically to
doing many new things. Now? Some weeks can be pretty chaotic!

I wondered, when I started to get busy, if Nixon would handle my crazier
life style... Long hours of resting around, then running around non-stop.
There is no routine!

He's taken it all in stride!

It doesn't seem like it that he will retire at about 2 - 3 years. Has anyone
ever did planned retirements, especially those who wanted to give their dogs
the retirement they so deserve? Or, those who have physical problems and
needed to do a transitional retirement up to the time you go to class, until
a dog is trained for your specific needs? I know and hope that I can retire
Nixon when is around 9 or 10.

We do not have plans for his special day, since Dad has to head out of town
for a few days, and won't be going anywhere, but the attention, cuddles and
peanut butter on his bone will suffice. He is spoiled rotten enough!!

If it is any indication, since Nixon and I've done so much walking, in a
three-week span, and upping his food intake, he lost 1.5 pounds!! I am quite
impressed and the vet is impressed how looking he is...

Seven years old???!!!! Where has my baby gone?

Jennifer McEachen and "Nixon"
Guide Dogs for the Blind, Inc.
Alumni Association Board of Directors and secretary
jenandnixon@xxxxxxxxx / jmceachen@xxxxxxxxxxxxx