(VICT) NIxon update--LONG

  • From: "Jen&Nixon" <jenandnixon@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <vi-clicker-trainers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 27 Jul 2011 06:24:12 -0700

Brian was able to assess and see that, yes, the enthusiasm is not what it
was once was; however, we were able to find a solution to pick up his pace
and make him a little more excited. I give him a little encouragement with
the leash, not a correction, but guidance to get him to move up in pace a
little. Halt him while he still walking at the pace that I prefer, and do
verbal and physical praise, don't stop when he is already slowing down as he
will associate that praise for that behavior. The improvement was drastic
when we tried this method.

Also, we somewhat did a traffic checks so Brian could see Nixon's reaction,
and so far, we are fine with this as well. He says I have muscle memory;
whereas, NIxon and I are so used to moving off the curb *at the same time*,
and not allowing Nixon to move forward at first. We attempted to have him
move forward while I was still on the curb, holding the harness back a
little bit. He was hesistant after several attempts to "forward".

He definitely suggested I try the methods we worked on today and give him a
call next week to give him an update on how things are progressing. He is
hoping this will be a more consistent method, instead of his inconsistent
pace, wanting to slow down after a certain period of time. His tail was
wagging more once we attempted the method.

I took him over to my work place (Canadian Red Cross) and he got the
opportunity to see my large, personal office space and meet a few of the
staff I work with. I also explained to him about the fact we work with
vulnerable clients of varying ages and around medical equipmemnt all the
time.

We worked our way back to Tim Hortons where we originally parked and where
Mom was waiting on us. We had a break and I was able to purchase coffee for
Brian. "You know, one of the things I miss about living in Canada... Tim
Hortons." Mom briefly asked questions about Brian's history working with
guide dogs and his travels from England, Ontario then onto GDB in
California. At this point, NIxon was beside mother, getting belly rubs from
her foot! *grin*

Lastly, we did the juno walk. He warned me, going from the left to the right
side is *VERY* difficult! He simulated sniffing and distractions so he could
get an idea of my ability to correct a dog as well. He was surprised at how
comfortable he was and I was surprised at how comfortable I was as well. He
is totally going to recommend my next dog be trained on the right side. I
thought I'd have difficulty with the footwork, but I didn't at all! He is
also noting in the file that I will need to have the dog capable of
receiving leash corrections via the right hand, due to the possibility of
dislocating my shoulder due to the quick movement.

He will submit my file to the student selection committee and have them look
at my file next Thursday's meeting for consideration so I get on the wait
list right away, and possibly have a dog prior to October (yes our winters
start early here!), if not, I'll have to wait until the spring, hopefully
Nixon can hold out till then, but it is difficult to say during the winter,
though.

Brian is an exceptional person to work with and since he knows me through
the pre-assessment class, my visits to the campus during the Alumni
Association board meetings, and...

he remembers the incident of one meeting, where I hurt my shoulder and
required a visit to the hospital and he approached me, "How are you
feeling?"

I gave him a dirty look, "What kind of question is that?"

We had a great laugh over that funny moment as well.

So, yes, I have a history with Brian as well, as you can see!

Overall, great day, cool, breezy, with some sunny cloudy periods, made it
perfect walking conditions; although, I think Brian was a bit chilly,
without a jacket!

So, that's the scoop for the time being!

Jen and Nixon
Pampered Critters Pet and House Sitting Services
Prince George, BC
pamperedcritters@xxxxxxxxx / www.pamperedcritters.ca
<http://www.pamperedcritters.ca/>
"Like" us on Facebook: www.facebook.com/pamperedcritters