(VICT) Help with this step on retrieve

  • From: "Karyn and Thane" <bcpaws4me@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Vi-clicker" <vi-clicker-trainers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 16 Dec 2008 13:51:10 -0800

Hi all,
Thane and I have been working the backchain to retrieve process for a time
now. We have a stumbling block again (so what else is new?!) that I don't
seem to be able to figure out how to work through so I wondered if some of
those more experienced in clicker training the retrieve could offer some
insights for me.
Thane can hold at various levels no matter where the item is being held out
from- in front of me, to sides of me etc. He can retrieve the item from the
ground even as long as my hand is still on it. He can hold it at that level,
he can raise up and give it to me with an additional cue word in between
*get it and give*. (bring it)
The instant I even try and remove my hand even if its just right beside the
item, he is back to treating it like a boney to chew on and I just don't
seem to be able to help him figure out what I am wanting. He is not as
clicker saavy as Met was and I thought Met was poor that way in offering
behaviors.
I feel like I have some how missed something important here. We have been
trying to work through this same part for a while now so I am hoping someone
who has trained this before can give me some usable input that can help the
two of us bridge this gap we are struggling with.

Karyn and Thane