(VICT) Harness- Ridge

  • From: "Karyn and Thane" <bcpaws4me@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Vi-clicker" <vi-clicker-trainers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 24 Dec 2008 10:12:54 -0800

Ridge when you work a dog from a wheelchair a real big problem is harness
rotation. I dealt with this so much during Met's life. When I went to The
Freedom Design Harness the problems disappeared after I adapted the harness
a bit because Met really was a bit on the small side for the design. If you
are working Clyde using the British Style (no loops for the handle to run
through) this harness is an excellent solution IMO.
You can tighten or loosen the neck straps to your fit. On the underside you
have a layout of a martingale with two smaller straps attached to D rings
that then attaches to the underneath portion of the girth strap. The two
smaller straps and the underneath girth strap are also adjustable. The top
portion of the girth strap loops through the large D rings and then loops
back on itseld- also adjustable in where you tighten the strap down at. All
of this is done via velcro. Met's harness never had issues with worn out
velcro either. The martingale and smaller strap configuration is just what
is needed for the kind of fit one requires when working a dog from a
wheelchair for pulling or guiding. Its just something to look into at least
before you make your final decision. I know a few people who are ambulatory
who have used these harnesses for their guide dogs because they are so much
more comfortable. You can also set it up in a number of ways for getting
your dog dressed- slippingit over the head if it fits with your chosen setup
or releasing one side  completely. You can also release whichever side is
easiest for you since the fasteners are on both sides.
http://www.freedomdesignusa.com/

Karyn and Thane