[vi-android] Re: TalkBack vs VoiceAssistant and Some Questions

  • From: Matthew Chao <mattchao@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: vi-android@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 13 Jan 2017 07:45:00 -0500

Hi, Christopher. Thanks for your thorough response. Now a big (sort of risky) question: How do I disable VoiceAssistant so I can use TalkBack without losing speech?

Also, since some updates on my Galaxy, I've noticed that under Notifications, there are some unlabeled buttons. How hard is it to find out what they are and lable them?

Finally, how do I subscribe to the Eyes-Free list?

Thanks in advance.--Matthew Chao

On 1/12/2017 10:42 PM, Christopher Chaltain wrote:

Talk Back supports custom actions, which is a definite advantage for Talk Back. You have the context menus in Talk Back, so you can get to more features and options that way. You can interact with the developers on the Eyes-Free list and participate in the Talk Back betas, which is another point in Talk Back's favor. Some people will say that Talk Back is more responsive, is updated more frequently and is part of pure Android so it was the way Google meant for you to interact with your phone. I haven't noticed that it's more responsive than Voice Assistant, and I can't tell how often Voice Assistant is updated, so I don't know if Talk Back is more up to date or not. I don't have a problem using software from companies other than Google, so the fact that Samsung made some changes to Talk Back's source code isn't an issue for me.

Voice Assistant uses some different gestures, so people that don't like the angle gestures in Talk Back may prefer Voice Assistant. You don't have the context menus in Voice Assistant, and it supports more than two finger gestures, so you get more shortcuts to change things like screen dimming, voice rate, ..., or check the status of things like the time, battery charge and so on.

Right now I'm using Voice Assistant, but in general I prefer Talk Back a bit, mostly because of the custom actions support. I'd suggest you try each of them and decide for yourself which you prefer.

I'm not sure about the notifications, but this is how notifications work on my S7, so there has to be a setting to accomplish this. Maybe someone else will know which settings to tweak to accomplish this or maybe you'll stumble across it yourself. Sorry, but I've looked around, and I just can't remember what I might have done to set this behavior.

You can configure the triple click of the home button to toggle any accessibility service, including Talk Back. You can also have it present a dialog of services to start. If you want it to just toggle Talk Back on and off then go into Settings -> Accessibility -> Direct Access and make sure Talk Back is the only service that's toggled on.

On 12/01/17 13:52, Matthew Chao wrote:
Hi, Folks.  Can someone on this list tell me the advantages and
disadvantages of TalkBack and VoiceAssistant?  I'm using a Galaxy S7.

Also, how do I get the Notifications to give me an audible, but not
bring up the screen.  This is very distracting.

Finally, is there a quick way to turn TalkBack off and on so I can have
a sighted person be able to use this phone? VoiceAssistant has the
Apple-like tripple-click which I like, but saw nothing like that with
TalkBack.  Thanks in advance for your info.

Matthew Chao

To post to the list, simply send email to vi-android@xxxxxxxxxxxxx.

To unsubscribe from the list send an email to
vi-android-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx with 'unsubscribe' in the Subject field
(new users, use 'subscribe' to subscribe)

To receive the list as a digest, send an email to
vi-android-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx with 'set vi-android digest' in the
subject (to go back to receiving every message use 'unset vi-android
digest' in the subject).