[va-richmond-general] Re: question on bluebird eggs

  • From: "Bob Reilly" <rjreilly@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <va-richmond-general@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 29 Apr 2005 09:59:06 -0400

Susan,

If the eggs are cool to the touch at this point, they are unlikely to hatch.
Would have expected at least one additional egg to have hatched by Monday
and all by now.  Causes include a subset of infertile eggs and/or
ineffective incubation, the latter being more likely with a young female in
her first breeding season.  Does she continue to bring food to the chicks
and leave promptly after delivering it?  That's another sign that she has
given up on the eggs herself.

Bob