[va-richmond-general] bird song imitations

  • From: Susan Heath <sheath@xxxxxxx>
  • To: va-richmond-general@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 11 Apr 2006 07:19:39 -0400

While logical, this statement is not strictly true. There have been studies done in Texas of mockingbird songs which showed that Texas mockingbirds were imitating the songs of tropical birds found much farther south. Since mockingbirds don't migrate, you wouldn't expect this. What they learned from the study is that mockingbirds were passing the songs farther and farther north between themselves. Sneaky little mockingbirds!

Sue

Jim Blowers wrote:

I do think there are whip-poor-wills in our area. If a starling imitates a
whip-poor-will, then there must be a whip-poor-will somewhere around for the
starling to imitate.

Jim Blowers

-- Susan A. Heath George Mason University Environmental Science Department Fairfax, VA

Secretary, Virginia Avian Records Committee
Keeper, Virginia Comp List at www.virginiabirding.org