[va-richmond-general] Sparrow Nest?

  • From: "Bob Siegfried" <rcs5701@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <va-richmond-general@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 28 Apr 2005 20:02:36 -0400

Today I was cutting my grass (it was rather long).  Something told me to
jerk the mower backwards.  I looked down and there was a perfect nest with
an egg in it.  At first I thought if fell out of a tree, but the closest
tree is 15-20 feet away and not very tall.  Of course the sharper thinking
in the group would have already figured out that the egg would not still be
in the nest if it fell out of a tree.

The nest is about 4 inches across, made mostly of grass.  No mud, leaves or
fuzz.  It was snugged down in the grass which had camoflaged it well.  Other
than the long grass it is in the wide open yard.  The egg is 1/2 to 1 inch
long, pale blue with rusty blotches and specks.  I looked in a guidebook and
came to the conclusion that it may be a song sparrow.  Does anyone else have
an alternative idea or can confirm similar nesting of a sparrow in a yard.

I left a patch of grass around the nest, but of course I had already cut
much of it down before I found the nest.  So its exposed to view.  Any
suggestion to protect it from jays, crows, cats, squirrels and all of the
other things out there?

I thought of building a small pile of twigs around the exposed side of the
nest to help hide it from view.

Bob Siegfried