[va-richmond-general] Re: Slow Birding

  • From: sail1sun@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: deannamail@xxxxxxx, va-richmond-general@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2012 20:25:20 -0500 (CDT)

Same here; I suspect the drought.  I may try filling up the bird bath.

On 04/16/12, deannamail@xxxxxxx wrote:

Same here in the woods in Eastern Hanover.  No chickadees or titmice coming to the sunflower seed feeder, only an occasional goldfinch.  But they are here...I hear them in the trees.  They must be eating something else.  I don't remember a previous spring hiatus like this in the past 20 plus years.

On Apr 16, 2012, at 3:51 PM, "Jim Blowers" <jimvb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

The number of birds have gone down considerably in the past month at our feeder. The white-throated sparrows and juncos have left. There are occasionally a lot of robins, but as of recently I see only about 1 or 2 a day. The number of titmouses, chickadees, song sparrows, cardinals, and woodpeckers has gone down considerably. We have put out a hummingbird feeder, but haven’t seen any yet. Last year, they didn’t come until July 23. We have seen occasional brown thrashers but not in any great number. We have yet to see any catbirds.

I guess the early spring has put a void in the rest of the spring, as far as birds are concerned.

Jim Blowers